So if you have a pulse you probably heard that Apple officially announced the iPhone 4 this week which will be released on June 24th. I am a HUGE Apple guy and currently own the iPhone 3GS, the just updated Mac Book Pro i7 and the iPad 32G Wifi model along with a number of other add ons that I really didn’t need, but really wanted. Not sure why, but I was underwhelmed by the new iPhone’s capabilities and have decided to play devil’s advocate on this one with the list below pointing out the new features and also why I feel each one isn’t as buzz worthy as the media has made it. I think that when a Realtor or anyone else for that matter invests in a new phone, especially one as hyped as the iPhone 4, it is important to dig deeper than just the headlines that have been thrust at you. So without further ado here are my bullet points on the new features of the iPhone 4 and my honest thoughts on why it may not be the game changer many have made it out to be.
- Feature: The new iPhone 4 is 24% thinner than the 3G and 3GS models
- Reality: I have never once felt like my 3GS was not thin enough and have never heard anyone else voice that concern so really no reason to celebrate here
- Feature: iPhone 4 will have 40% better battery life
- Reality: The battery life on the 3G and 3GS sucks and improving it by 40% will bring it up to normal. Again, not really sure we should thank Apple for a battery that doesn’t die quickly
- Feature: New antenna that wraps the phone will improve call quality and decrease the number of dropped calls
- Reality: Phones first and foremost shouldn’t drop calls. Just like with the battery getting better, I am not ready to pat Apple on the back for selling me a phone with good reception
- Feature: iOS 4 is a brand new operating system that finally allows multitasking and placing multiple apps into a single folder
- Reality: iOS 4 will also work on the existing 3GS phones and isn’t exclusive to the new iPhone 4. Further, for my thoughts on multitasking see my thoughts on battery life and antenna
- Feature: Retina display eliminates pixels completely from the human eye and will provide the most vivid screen to date on any smartphone
- Reality: I have never once looked at anything on my 3GS and thought it was in the least bit pix-elated except for maybe YouTube but that has nothing to do with the phone
- Feature: Facetime will finally bring video calls to the world a la the Jetsons
- Reality: It is a wifi only feature and has been available for YEARS, it’s called Skype. Just don’t see myself at home or work under a wifi network and choosing to video chat with my phone over my Mac Book Pro
- Feature: HD 720p video with iMovie for editing right on the phone
- Reality: You will still want to own a stand alone HD video camera (if you don’t already btw) and I just don’t really see that many people editing videos on their phone
Expecting to get some grief on this one and I welcome the debate with open arms. As the title of the posts points out I will 100% be buying the iPhone 4 and for anyone who has never owned an iPhone they are indeed “magical devices”. The purpose of this post wasn’t to discredit the new iPhone and all it’s glory rather to accurately break down each NEW feature of the iPhone 4 and whether or not they will live up to the hype and indeed change the game!