It’s Not Working Because You’re Not Working It

Last week I had a conversation with a Realtor in Florida who was picking my brains about which direction she should be taking her Real Estate business this year.  Let’s call her “Jane”.

Does blogging really work?” she asked.  “Or, what about Facebook?  Do you know of people that are actually selling homes using it?”  The questions were flying and the answer was always the same:  If you work it, it will work.

Do It - Don't QuitIt’s no different than anything else in life – hard work gets results.  Expecting things to just happen, will rarely (if ever) happen.  Here’s a great scenario:  I want to lose 10 lbs.  I sign up for a gym membership and go on Monday.  I then go again on Wednesday and Friday.  So far so good, right?  Well, the next week, I can’t go on Monday cause I am really tired from staying up late the night before watching the football game, and Wednesday I have four appointments and can’t squeeze an hour in at the gym.  It’s just impossible.  But I do go on Friday….

After a month of two, I’ve gone to the gym 5 times, but I still ask myself, “Why haven’t I lost those 10 lbs yet?!  Maybe I should try something else“, and I go out and buy the new Wii Zumba dance fitness DVD and the cycle starts again.

Now, change the words exercise, gym and DVD with whatever method of gaining business you are trying to make work and think to yourself, “Why would this outcome be any different?”  It wouldn’t!

its not working cause your not working itNo matter what your mode of bringing in business, it MUST be consistent and a long term goal.  Chris will often be heard saying, “It’s not a sprint we’re running here, it’s a marathon.”  I use that awareness line often when talking to agents about blogging or Facebook or whatever their choice of marketing is.

So with that said, here’s what I told Jane, and what I would tell you too:

1.  Make A Plan

2.  Work It

3.  Work It

4.  Work It!

You get what you put into anything in life – real estate is no exception.   If you start something, have a long term goal in place and stick with it.  When you hear of another agent doing well in a type of marketing or advertising venture, ask them how long they have been doing it for and how often.  If they say a week, or a month or two, I would say they were a liar.

If you want to make it work, it will work. The only reason it’s not working is because you’re not working it.  It’s definitely not too late to start 2011 on the right foot – just remember to put the left foot in front of the other!

There are 14 responses to this post! Join in...

1. Chris Hanson says:

Well said! It always goes back to the basics–Plan your work and work your plan!

2. Planning and working it! Stay focused. Great blog as always Chris.

3. Jean Richer says:

You are absolutely right Chris! Make the plan and work it, work it and keep working it. The other thing we must do is review the plan once in a while to make sure we are still going in the right direction. If needed, re-adjust your plan but keep working it!!

A great reminder.

Thank you Chris!

4. Jim Mackin says:

Nice post Suzanne. It is always important to reinforce the basics

5. ABSOLUTELY!! It amazes me how many agents try something once, and when they don’t get immediate results they throw in the towel!
    You have to have systems in place, and work them. Nothing ever happens overnight.
    I see that when people start my “Secret Agent Blueprint” system. They do a couple of the modules, and then trail off to other things and don’t finish setting up the systems and following through.
    Too many agents get caught at the water cooler, and distracted from the things that will solidify their business to become money-makers.

6. rob aubrey says:

Well said Chris

the other part of that is outsourcing the work.

I am a big fan of leverage BUT you have to be in charge and be the one that is overseeing all material…

you don’t need to know how to write code be a tech savvy agent.

the gym is always the best analogy for this stuff.

Mike Ferry used to say you didn’t get fat on one cookie so you need to go to the gym more than once

7. Don Corson says:

Suzanne- Great Advise. I think agents really need to go back and read some RE sales books from Tom Hopkins and the guys/gals from his generation. When they talk about “farming”, we just need to replace that with “working your social media plan”. None of the trainers from his generation suggesting in any way that working your farm will produce immediate results.

8. Don Corson says:

Oops — major spelling error — ADVICE…

9. This is true. The way I see it, your message can be summed up in a few words that I find missing in our industry.

The first is “passion” to succeed! We must be passionate about success which then drives our willingness to do WHATEVER it takes to make intended results happen.

The second is “purpose” … what are we after and why? What numbers are we after achieving? Why THESE numbers? WHO will help us get there (peers, vendors, managers, team members)? WHEN or how much time do we have to produce it? HOW will we do it (what knowledge do we need that we am missing)? WHERE will we do this (where is important….isolating usually means easily distracted by other tasks or chores).

The next is “commitment”. We must commit to produce the outcomes! Without full commitment, failure will follow. A commitment is a promise. “I promise myself and others I will produce this outcome”. And, I KEEP MY PROMISES.

The next is “discipline”. In order to “work it” as you say, there must exist an uncommon ‘discipline’. The definition for discipline is: To train oneself to do something in a controlled and habitual way. The ‘work’ must become a habit. Just like playing a piano, the day you stop playing is the day your piano career is over.

The next is “knowledge”. There is a lot to learn in today’s fast-paced, technological driven marketplace. Whether we have been in business for years, or just starting our career, we must dedicate time to “learn”! Learn Facebook. Learn Blogging. Learn your niche! Learn Learn Learn until it is easy. This is your biggest source of competitive advantage. Not the technology, tools, widgets … but your knowledge!

And finally, “productive practices”. Be in a practice of being productive. What are we after “producing”. We must specify this first, and then go about producing it. So much time is wasted in our industry. Like the agent mentioned above wondering for how long if this stuff works, in the meantime what could she have produced by doing instead of talking? What do I mean by Productive? For example, if we wish to ‘produce’ a blogsite, productive behaviors might be 1. research notable great blogsites (Tech Savvy Agent makes that really easy!) 2. study those and gain an interpretation of what makes them great. 3. learn about blogsites and how to build one 4. start building 5. and bingo, after some productive work, we will have the beginnings of a blog site vs. just talking about them or wondering if they work. Following, the produced product of having a blogsite could then be developing a productive practice of writing an entry a day. Just an idea.

None of this is difficult, but most don’t have the passion, purpose, commitment, discipline, knowledge and productive practices to make it happen …. and therein lies the secret.

10. Andrea Clark says:

Just what I needed to hear right now!

11. isabel says:

Excellent post, Suzanne! The key is having a plan and taking action everyday to achieve those goals. Moreover, continuously learning to keep on top of our real estate business. Learning never stops in whatever profession you are in.

12. At first I was worried when other agents would say they were going to start blogging. Now, I just encourage them. I have over 150 entries in under three years and it only gets easier. While others have their initial couple of posts and have not been updated for months.

So working it works when you get to the third Work it! step.

13. Suzanne, why do they call yo Chris? :) j/k. I can only say one word: amen!

What do you think?