image

NAR Announces All New, Tech Savvier ePro

Todd Carpenter, Social Media Manager at NAR, sat down with me to discuss the completely reworked, all new e-PRO certification.

There are many Realtors out there that have been certified an e-PRO in the past, but the certification has not always been recognized within the blogosphere as carrying a lot of meaning with it.  Much of the material covered during the 2 day course had been considered remedial, even in an industry typically behind the technology curve, so Todd and the team at NAR decided to rewrite the entire curriculum.

The all new ePro Realtor designation

11 years ago NAR introduced the e-PRO certification and believe it or not even though technology has been moving at the speed of light some of the original content from more than a decade ago was still a part of the required coursework.  As Todd pointed out in our interview in regards to the new content for ePro “Not one word of the old course was even looked at or reviewed, we wanted to start fresh”.  The other big changes include no longer outsourcing the certification which had been done in the past and also NAR is committed to updating the content every 6 months.  I for one applaud NAR for making these major changes and after speaking with Todd and hearing that his background as a blogger dated back to 2005 it was not a surprise that he felt the changes made needed to be drastic.

NAR leveraged agents from their Young Professionals Network as well as some of the top minds in the industry from the Social Media Marketing Institute including Amy Chorew, Bill Lublin and Ginger Wilcox.  “We all sat down in a room and worked out an outline for the content.  It’s Social Media content, managing your brand online, cloud computing, eOffice, eStrategy, mobile tools, etc…”  So not only have they redone the course they have committed to keeping it fresh with the updates and are leveraging all the right people and resources to do so.

The new course will be unveiled on Thursday November 4th, the day before the annual NAR Convention which this year takes place in New Orleans.  Attendees who would like to be a part of the initial class can learn more by emailing Todd at tcar@realtor.org for additional details.

NAR 2010 Convention New Orleans

I want to thank Todd Carpenter @tcar on Twitter and the team at NAR for sharing the information that there is an all new e-PRO with our community first.  It makes me feel like all the hard work that us techies(we the contributors and you the readers) put in at Tech Savvy Agent is being recognized as meaningful.  If you have any thoughts feel free to leave them below!

p.s. Those that have already received the e-PRO certification will continue to be able to use that title.

Loading Facebook Comments ...

16 Comments

1. Robin says:

Wouldn’t it be REALLY appropriate if they unveiled the class as a webinar or in an online format since it *is* about technology and tech savviness???

2. Chris says:

The 2nd day of the class is Robin. I agree with Todd that an in person learning environment much like a seminar or Bar Camp more can be absorbed.

3. Thanks for the interview Chris!I feel pretty lucky to be a part of this project. Kudos to REBAC for contracting with SMMI to build the new course.

4. Andy Kaufman says:

Kudos to everyone involved in this much needed & massive undertaking!

I’ve been lucky enough to catch a glimpse behind the scenes over the past few weeks/months and I’m confident that the new & improved e-PRO will deliver.

5. I took the course several years ago and agree that it was totally behdnd the curve. I don’t think I learned a thing. Hopefully this will help.

6. Tanya says:

I took the course in 2008 and felt like it missed the mark in many ways. Even though I’m an existing ePRO, I’d love to take the new course. It’s not just about being able to use the title- it’s about learning the material.

7. I took the course several years ago and it was so ridiculous I was mortified to even use the title. Good for Todd for wanting to bring the course information into this century.

8. Great news! As a newer agent with a technology background, I looked into the e-Pro designation and wasn’t impressed by the curriculum and the tech-savviness of those with the designation.

It’s great they’re committing to reviewing the content every 6 months.

Although I hate paying for stuff, maybe the e-Pro designation should have an expiration on it, say 3 years.

9. The e-Pro designation still won’t mean a thing to our clients and I believe participation in REBARCamps and other social media networking is the best way to learn and stay at the leading edge. Glad they are making course material relevant however.

10. Dena Stevens says:

Chris,

There is so much techie stuff out there right now and I’m sure the new e-Pro will help us sort it all out. But if you were going to focus on just one part of the new program what would it be?

11. Fred Glick says:

Travel to NOLA for a class about the internet? C’mon, people, let’s have it online! Makes no sense any other way.

12. Sara Bonert says:

Wow, I can’t believe it had been that long since the content had been updated? NAR picked the right group to help advise them!

Side question – what services did you use to record an interview in this split screen format? I like it!

13. Chris says:

Hey Sara I am using a Skype plug in called Call Recorder. One time $19.95 and it rocks!!

14. Chris says:

Facebook.

15. Hugo says:

Extremely skeptical about this re-boot. The content may have been updated but I would really like to see how NAR, the state associations and the local boards plan to promote the designation to the public. Moreover, for someone (like me) who has earned the certification years ago and who has kept up with the changes in tech and real estate, does this change mean that my badge is no longer valid. Thus far, not impressed and I am fairly certain that the upcoming announcement won’t do much to change that.

16. Will Rahill says:

I’m currently e-pro certified and looking forward to taking the course again with the all-new content. I live to learn and love to live.